A step-by-step tutorial on how to hang pictures without nails using 3m Command Hanging Strips.
Do you want to create a photo wall or gallery wall without damaging your walls? I have the perfect solution and its using 3M Command Hanging Strips. Use this tutorial on how to hang pictures without nails to help you create the gallery wall you have always wanted.
SIDE NOTE: This is not a sponsored post, I decided to try this myself.
HOW TO HANG PICTURES WITHOUT NAILS
STEP 1: GATHER YOUR PICTURE FRAMES
The first step is gathering all the frames or other artwork you want to use.
TIP: It helps to have a theme, mine is travel!
You may not use every item and may decide on something else. But note the items that are must-haves and other pieces will be fillers. Also, texture and different shapes can be your friend when creating a gallery wall.
SIDE NOTE: You can always paint a picture frame, see this post on how easy it is to spray paint picture frames.
STEP 2: ARRANGING AND CREATING TEMPLATES
Now that you have the supplies its time to figure out how to arrange your artwork. The easiest way I have found is to lay your artwork on the floor and rearrange there.
Move pieces around, add, or take away until you are happy with a layout. But then WALK AWAY, maybe take a picture first just in case something gets moved. The reason I tell you to walk away is so that when you come back you have a fresh take and you will see if you
Come back and see if you’re happy if so its time to create a template of each item. This makes hanging items on the wall that much easier.
TIP: Take a picture of the layout before moving forward.
Take a blank piece of paper and create a sketch of the layout, including measurements (spacing between frames) and number each item.
Once everything is cut out, use painters tape to tape the templates to the wall in the layout of your sketch.
TIP: I would recommend leaving the templates the wall for a day to make sure you are happy with the layout.
STEP 3: HANGING PICTURES WITHOUT NAILS
To hang pictures with the 3M command picture hanging strips, I followed the instructions provided. But I am still going to walk you through the steps.
- On the picture you plan on hanging, fold the template so that the bottom of the template and bottom of the frame will touch (see one of the images below for example).
- Wipe the area with Isopropyl Alcohol 70%.
- TIP: DON’T skip this part, it’s what helps everything stick to the wall.
- While that dries, attach the hanging strips to the back of the frame, snap two strips together then remove one of the backings to stick them to the frame. Put presser on the strips for 30 seconds.
- SIDE NOTE: You can cut the strips if needed and make sure you add the number of strips needed for the weight of the frame.
- TIP: Remove any nail hanging hooks or easel back to the picture frame so that the frame can be as flush with the wall.
- Remove the other plastic strip and place the frame on the wall. Make sure the frame is level and is touching the template. Then press the frame to the wall and keep pressing for 30 seconds.
- Remove the frame from the wall.
- TIP: Don’t pull the frame straight off but start from the bottom and angle it upward.
- Add presser to the strips on the wall for 30 more seconds. Then let everything sit for at least one hour.
- Complete steps 1-6 for the rest of the frames or items going on the wall.
- Place the frame back onto the wall by aligning the strips, using a level again, and pushing the frame where the strips are so they will snap together.
And that’s how to hang pictures without nails. I do want you to know that there are 3m Command Nail Hanger to hang pictures with hooks and I love using those also.
I really hope this tutorial helps you hang pictures in your home without damaging your walls. Plus its perfect for an apartment or selling a home, no nail holes to patch up!