I am a jam snob… Anyone else? I have a really hard time eating most jams but homemade freezer jam is my favorite… And really the only kind of jam I will eat.
I wanted to share how I make my freezer jam, even if it’s almost like the recipe on the pectin bottle. You can use frozen fruit (just thaw before) or fresh fruit to make the jam.
- 3 cups prepared fruit
- 6 tsp lemon juice (use only with blueberries, peaches, & cherries)
- 3 Tbsp pectin
- 3 cups sugar
- Prepare fruit. Then combine fruit and lemon juice (if required) in a large pot.
- Gradually stir in pectin and bring mixture to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar, stir to dissolve. Then bring mixture to a full rolling boil, boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add to hot jars.
- DO NOT double batch!!!
After the fruit is blended, I put it into a large pot.
Next gradually stir in the pectin and bring that mixture to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
Add the sugar, stir until dissolved and return mixture to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute making sure you stir constantly, then remove from heat.
If using glass jars, place the jar into the microwave and microwave for 1 minute (this is just to warm the glass, you could probably skip this but it is prevent the jar from breaking). Then remove the jar and pour the jam into the jar.
Let the jam cool before placing into the freezer. My jam does not last more than 3 months but I would use it within 1 year.
Anyone else have a favorite jam?