When we first bought our home we soon found out that we needed some more tools, not just our hammer and screwdrivers… So I thought it would be fun to put together the tools that we use the most in our home. Some of these tools you could get away without but I feel like you should probably have them just in case! So here is 16 tools every homeowner should have plus some bonus ones…
Some links in this post are affiliate link for your convenience, click here to read our full affiliate policy.
Side Note: This list is in a random order, so number one does not mean you will use it the most.
- Utility Knife – We just got this new utility knife because this one forms to the hand better.
- Flash Light – I feel that even if you are not a homeowner you should have a flash light. We use this little guy to help us see in little spaces.
- Block Sander – Sometimes things need to be sanded and this guy is great! I found it at Lowes for a couple bucks. This makes sanding easier…
- Tape measure – You will probably need to measure something. I even have one in my car most of the time!
- Window Utility Knife – This thing is amazing at getting stuff off glass.
- Pliers – If you want to replace light switches or lights, this tool would help with that.
- Hammer – Do you want to hang a picture frame?
- Wrench – If you have a plumbing issue this could come in handy, even if you plan on hiring it out…
- Screwdriver Set – We have the plain old screwdrivers also but this one is really nice.
If you plan on doing any painting these are the supplies that we use almost every time we paint.
- Taping Knife – This is used for drywall but it helps create a straight line while painting.
- Paint Brush (my other favorite paint brush) – You will need to cut in or wipe the paint can.
- Putty Knife – Used to fix holes on a wall.
- Small Paint Brush – This is a regular painters paint brush, I use it to get into small painting spaces.
- Painting Edger – I just found this tool and it helps save time when cutting in around trim and walls.
- Rollers (big & smaller) – The big roller you will use more when painting walls. The smaller roller I use for painting doors, trim, cabinets, and furniture.
- Painting Tray – You will need somewhere to put the paint.
These things could help:
- Stud Finder – Sometimes you need to find a stud to hang a picture. (I have not used this stud finder yet)
- Respirator – That way you are not breathing in paint fumes or other fumes.
- Gloves – Sometimes things get messy.
- Caulking Gun – I really think I should have put this in the other tools because I use it all the time…
Make things even Easier
Drill – A drill makes removing or adding screws a lot easier…
If you have a yard:
Lawnmower – If you have a lawn it will need to be mowed…
Edger/Trimmer – If you want your lawn to have clean edges, this could help!
Rake – If you have trees there will be leaves to rake.
Shovel – This will help with landscaping.
Hose w/sprayer – Sometimes your plants could need some water…
– – – —
And that’s the list of tools we use most in our home, do you have anymore tools to add to the list?