First off it’s been awhile. I decided to take last week off to hang out with the kids before they started school. I still can not believe that my oldest will be in Kindergarten… plus I will have 2 in school this year. Where does the time go? I already feel like I will be running around with my head cut off chasing these kids around. Does anyone else feel this way? But it will only get more exciting as time goes on. OK let’s get back to some projects!
So I redid another kitchen table but this time it was not for me. It was my sister’s!! This story starts last year when my sister was living with us. She purchased a used table (cost her $20) to use as her sewing table. The plan was to refinish it then but it never happened. Then about three months ago, my sister got engaged. Eric and I were trying to decide what to get them for their wedding, when I remembered the table. I then asked my sister if she was planning on using the table as their kitchen table. She said “yes” and I asked if she would like me to redo it for her for her wedding gift. I don’t know if she really did not like the thought of that as a gift but she said “yes”!
I finally got the table the week of the wedding and here is the table, sorry it was disassembled for the move to my house…
Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience, click here to read my full disclosure policy.
First thing I did was removed the table top and chairs tops then sanded everything. I used #60 grit sandpaper to remove the old stain first. Next I used #220 grit sandpaper to give the wood a smooth finish. For all the frames, I sanded everything with #120 grit sandpaper, did this by hand. Then I sanded everything one more time with a finer sandpaper, #320 grit.
Next I cleaned everything with TSP cleaner, thought I would give it a try. After cleaning I pulled out my new painting tool, Critter Paint Sprayer, I promise I will share more about this but I have one more project I want to use it on first but so far it works great!
Because I would be using a paint sprayer, I put push-pins on the bottoms of the table and chair legs to get them off the ground. Then I cut little pieces of PVC pipe and inserted them between the legs and the frame of the table/chairs. This will make it possible for the table and chairs to be disassembled.
Then I sprayed all the frames with two coats of primer. After the primer dried, I lightly sanded the frames with #600 grit sandpaper, making sure to clean the chairs before the next step. Next I painted the chairs with two coats of Behr white paint with some Floetrol… added to help smooth the paint as it dries.
Again I lightly sanded the frames with #600 grit sandpaper (I did not need to sand very much the paint went on very smoothly). I then cleaned them again and applied two coats of poly with a brush (wish I would have tried the sprayer).
For the tops, I wanted a darker stain but not too dark or too red. This is what I came up with. First I put some white distilled vinegar and #0000 steel wool into a glass jar, it needs to be the finest steel wool… I let that sit for a couple of days because I was out-of-town but I have heard it needs to be at least 24 hours.
Then I took a rag and wiped the homemade stain onto the wood, making sure I was leaving no drip spots. TIP: Wear gloves with this stain.
The bottom wood is the stain after applying and the top is a day later.
I decided to lightly sand the wood then I wiped clean. Next I took a dark walnut stain and applied it the same way.
After letting it dry for a day. I applied two coats of polycrylic onto the wood. Once everything was dry, I assembled the table and chairs again. And here is the updated table now.
You can see my table makeover HERE.